Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Gem From Essence Magazine

In Fall of 1993, when I was 13 years old, my mother decided to start homeschooling me and my 11 year-old sister.

For me, that was hard news to accept.

That year was supposed to be the year I was finally going to be an 8th grader at Lewis H. Farrell Elementary School. Being an 8th grader meant status and being at the top of the grade school food chain. It meant the chance to wear a cap and gown at the end of the school year, and accompanying a date to the 8th grade dance that was thrown in the school gym each year. And in the minds of 13 year-olds, this dance carried all the significance of a senior prom; and we kids refused to be convinced otherwise.
But most of all, it meant the last year for making memories before I would go from being a big 8th grade fish in a little grade school pond, to being a little 9th grade fish in a big high school pond.
During my five year stint at that school, I had ached to one day be an 8th grader. In 3rd grade, I survived being a new kid in school and eventually made friends and a few bff's. I weathered a 4th grade teacher who hated my guts. I overcame the shock of starting 5th grade, and finding that everyone but me seemed to have grown D-cup sized boobs during the two-month summer recess. And in the 6th and 7th grades, respectively, I got over the agony of having monstrous crushes on two boys who didn't know I existed.
So when it was time to walk the red carpet leading to the 8th Grade, I was ready to join the grade school glitteratti, and ready for my paparazzi close up.
Never happened.
Instead, September of '93 found me sitting at the living room table across from my sister as our mother lectured us on the topic of affirmations. An affirmation, she told us, is a personal statement containing action plans, which a person writes to accomplish specific goals. With chalk in hand, she wrote the poem "The Wage" (quoted on my blog's mainpage) onto a portable black board.
"Analyze this poem, line for line," she told us.
That day, I learned one of the most vital lessons of my life: Life Is What You Make It.
Always has been, always will be. It's one of the amazing gifts the Creator has given to humankind; the ability to have free will, and to think and reason. This gift enables all humans to shape their own lives as desired.
We have been given the ability to command our own price in life. We dictate how we wish to be treated by others, how high we climb on the ladder of our dreams, and the level of happiness we enjoy. In short, each individual is responsible for his/her happiness and fulfillment. You don't have to stay in a situation that makes you feel bad, unless YOU choose to. Similarly, YOU have the right to enjoy living the life of your dreams!
This was an amazing first lesson for my 13 year-old brain, and even in the midst of my disappointment about my 8th grade plans being rinsed down the drain, "The Wage" and the incredible message it contained left an impact on me that endures today.

Speaking of affirmations and commanding one's own price in life, I was thrilled when I flipped open the January 2008 issue of Essence Magazine and found Editor-In-Chief Angela Burt-Murray's Between Us -- A Letter From The Editor feature. As part of her editorial this month, Burt-Murray included a fill-in-the-blank form titled "My Getting The Life I Deserve Pledge." I think it's fantastic, and if you haven't seen it for yourself, I'd like to share it with you and encourage you to fill this pledge out for yourself...as I intend to!

Check it out:

MY GETTING THE LIFE I DESERVE PLEDGE
This is the year to be the woman (or man) I've always wanted to be. This year I will put _______________ first.
(Your Name)
Starting _____________, I will focus on taking the steps to achieve my goals. Ever since ____________ I've known
(date)
that I want to______________.
Today I will create a plan to realize my dreams.
This is my year to achieve four goals:
1._______________________________________________________________________________________
2._______________________________________________________________________________________
3._______________________________________________________________________________________
4._______________________________________________________________________________________
Negative factors, real or imagined, will no longer be obstacles to my success.
To get over________________, I will stop _______________________________.
(obstacle #1)
To get over________________, I will pray that _______________________________.
(obstacle #2)
To get over________________, I will plan to _______________________________.
(obstacle #3)
I know that I will be successful because it is my dream to _____________________________.
To stay on track, I will have my friend ______________________________________ check on my progress every
(friend's name)
week/month/quarter (choose one) and hold me accountable.
This is my personal 2008 pledge to myself so that I can realize my dreams and live the wonderful life I fully deserve!
_______________________________
(your signature)

No comments: